Wisdom Teeth, Surgical Extractions and Site Preservation in Bonita
What are the reasons for wisdom teeth extraction?
There are four wisdom teeth in all, two on the top and two on the bottom. People can have any number of wisdom teeth from none to all four. Wisdom teeth usually appear between the age group of 17 and 25. Some people never develop wisdom teeth while for some, wisdom teeth erupt normally just as their other molars did without any problems. Some of the problems associated with wisdom teeth are crooked teeth, jaw pain, tooth decay, wisdom teeth growing sideways, crowded teeth, and cysts under the gums.
It is observed that people who get their wisdom teeth removed at a younger age tend to heal better from surgery before the roots and bone have fully formed.
Wisdom teeth tend to become more problematic over time. At times, dentists recommend wisdom tooth removal before any orthodontic work, such as braces or a root canal, to ensure that these teeth do not erupt later.
How are wisdom teeth removed?
Dentists at Bonita Family Dental may use one of three different types of anesthesia, depending on the complexity of the wisdom tooth extraction and your comfort level. We also provide this service at Chula Vista region.
During wisdom tooth removal, dentist:
- Makes a slit or a cut in the gum tissue to expose the tooth and bone
- Removes the bone that blocks access to the tooth root
- Divides the tooth into sections
- Removes the wisdom tooth
- Removes the debris from the tooth or bone; if any
- Stitches the wound to promote healing
- Placement of gauze over the extraction site to control bleeding and to help a blood clot form
How does socket preservation help after a wisdom tooth extraction?
After wisdom tooth extraction, the jawbone will not receive stimuli where your tooth once was. Osteoclasts will begin to break down your jawbone, and osteoblasts will not promote rebuilding the bone structure there. New bone will form, but slower than the bone that is being destroyed. This can cause your other teeth to shift and can create complications if you decide to get a dental implant in the future.
What is socket preservation?
Socket preservation can utilize a collagen plug as a hole filler and a bone grafting procedure to preserve your jaw in the tooth extraction area. This graft can be made of synthetic material, such as bone from other animals or human bone. After your dentist puts the bone graft in your socket, they usually cover it up with a layer of collagen, and then they stitch the tissues near the gum.
How to take care of socket preservation?
- Limit hot liquids and or alcohol.
- Take medicines as prescribed.
- Rest for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products
- Use a cold compress on your cheeks
What are the benefits of removing wisdom teeth?
The five advantages of removing your wisdom teeth are as follows:
- Lessen orofacial pain.
- Less crowding means fewer dental problems.
- Prevent damage to nearby teeth.
- Eliminate the risk of oral disease and inflammation.
- Prevent cysts, tumors, and jaw damage.
Is wisdom tooth removal painful?
Pain after wisdom tooth removal is normal. The extraction area is likely to be tender. As a result, once the anesthetic has worn off, a feeling of pain or soreness at the extraction site is possible.
What helps wisdom teeth holes heal faster?
- A cold compress can keep away the swelling.
- Keep your mouth clean.
- Eat (and drink) mindfully.
- Take your medicine.
How long does it take for sockets to close after wisdom teeth removal?
Tooth hole usually takes six weeks to be fully closed. The indentation will fill in and heal completely after several more months. Surgical extraction is often required to remove: an impacted tooth, such as wisdom teeth that do not erupt into your gums.